An Alliance of Producers, Makers and Supporters Target: Festivals that support camp collectives.
Festivals are a major attractor, hosting hundreds or thousands of people to be entertained by music, art, exhibitions, competitions, or trade. The Renaissance Faire could be credited with being the impetus for a consistent annual theme that compelled participants to camp together in clans.
Burning Man kicked it up a notch by demonstrating what’s arguably the most extreme festival-type event and this is where Dustopia emerged from. However, many of us have concluded that the cult scenario created by Burning Man has become excessively bureaucratic, irritating, and sometimes tyrannical. We rallied to full attainment there, fostering a collective that mastered producing theme camps, art installations and mutant vehicles. Ignorance is bliss, as “they” say. As we tired of being exploited for Burning Man’s gain (participants provide the value that they profit from), we separated into two main groups:
- Those continuing with Burning Man will continue to support Karma Love Camp.
- Everyone else is aligning to engage other events/non-events, such as 4th of Juplaya or the many Mohave area events such as Wasteland Weekend, Neotropolis or Teleport.
We recognize that rare talents are spread thin and implement specific measures to support maker autonomy. Our goal is to unite a group of like-minded makers through mutual support functions, including:
Think tank: new ideas for projects and output.
Logistical support: load balancing infrastructure hauling and storage.
Technical support: overcoming specific technical hurdles.
Assets: trust among members to share tools and common elements.
Activities: members assemble to extend and expand the support matrix.
We exist beyond small boxes. We are makers with broad skill sets, prone to engage in deep participation essential to many art installations, mutant vehicles AND theme camps. We are fluid from year-to-year in our alignment at the Burn, but remain true to our cause as a unified maker collective.
- Grow and improve the volunteer participation and support clusters for diverse events.
- Expand participation in Mohave area events
- Establish a non-profit club status for asset ownership
- Acquire acreage near Mohave for use by any Dustopia member (camping, tiny houses, workshop, storage, project staging, random private events and gatherings)
Our members aggregate in regional clusters where they share knowledge, space and gear. The regions our most active members are located (or have property assets we use for staging) and engage in regionals or alternate festivals currently include:
- Gerlach, NV
- North Bay area of San Francisco
- Los Angeles, CA
- California City, CA (mohave area)
- Albuquerque, NM
Some of our shared assets:
Machine shop in CA, art staging and storage site in Gerlach, NV. Event support: art installation support vehicle: one vehicle shared by multiple member projects camping in the same block. Tools: hammer drill, metal bandsaw, shop vac, construction rake, generators, cordless drill, T-post pounder and puller, shovels, grub hoe, cordless power tools, bike mechanic rack.